zaterdag 12 september 2015

Looking back at Jordan

After returning to the Netherlands, people were eager to hear my experiences in Jordan. On the day I came home, I showed my parents pictures and told them of my story in Jordan. I think almost all people have told stories about their experiences abroad. Why do we tell these stories?

Figure 1: Greek inscription in Jerash
Scott McCabe and Clare Foster argue that the tourist has a 'narrativistic' attitude. Therefore, to explain touristic experiences, one needs to see them as a story. The story about their touristic experiences becomes a part of their identity.[1] Thus, when tourists talk about their experience, they essentially talk about themselves, their identity, their world. As also touched upon in my post 'Looking at the Other' the relation people create to their touristic activities (their 'other' activities) determines how they construct their social identity. This must also have been the case when I told people about Jordan, however I did not notice it, since it is inherent to storytelling.
Figure 2: Tourism in progress
So what was our own role in Jordan? Were we tourists or students of tourism? I think we were both. Most of us engaged in behaviour commonly associated with the stereotypical image of the tourist. Hopping out of the bus, walking around, taking pictures, then returning to the bus again. However, during the course 'Passions of Tourism' we all followed, we learnt new concepts and critical social theories to explain tourism. Returning to John Urry's gaze, I noticed things I would not have noticed before, thanks to my new knowledge. [2] Part of me was a tourist, and part of me a student of tourism. 

I took great pleasure in travelling through Jordan, which gave us a wonderful opportunity to explore and apply the phenomenon called tourism.


[1] Scott McCabe & Clare Foster (2006) The Role and Function of Narrative in Tourist Interaction, Journal of Tourism and Cultural Change, 4:3, 194-215, DOI: 10.2167/ jtcc071.0
[2] John Urry, The tourist gaze 3.0, 2012

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten